News and Publications

Property News: 2 July 2018

Big cleanup complete

The cleanup of one of New Zealand’s most contaminated sites is now complete.

The $8.9 million remediation of Port Nelson’s Calwell Slipway came to an end last week, winding up an eight-year process to fix pollution caused by years of shipping repair work that used toxic substances.

Project manager Kelly Leonard, of Port Nelson Ltd, said she was pleased to have the task finished, with only minor weather delays and maintenance hampering the progress of the remediation team.

Target concentrations for residual sediments in the Calwell Slipway Basin were 270 mg/kg for copper and 0.07 mg/kg for tributyltin. Sampling at the conclusion of site works showed 42 mg/kg for copper and 0.039 mg/kg for tributyltin.

The second objective was to restore navigability to the Calwell Slipway Basin, which had not been dredged since 1984. A post-dredge hydrographic survey has indicated that charted depths have been restored and exceeded in many locations within the basin.

A new 5000-square-metre reclamation was constructed east of Kingsford Quay adjacent to the slipway. Leonard said the reclaimed land would be paved in spring to be used for additional log storage.

(The Nelson Mail, Monday 25 June 2018)

Pic's moving to a bigger spread

A new home for Nelson’s rapidly expanding peanut butter empire is taking shape.

Pic’s Peanut Butter founder Pic Picot is excited about the new Saxton Rd factory that will house expanded production lines and Pic’s Peanut Butter World, which will be a tourist destination when public tours begin in February next year.

Peanut butter production in the new factory is due to be up and running by October, but the tours will have to wait a while longer as offices shift locations and additional building work is finished.

The 2500-square-metre factory building will be more than double the size of the two Pic’s factories that currently operate at separate locations on Elms St, and will be right next to the 1200 sqm storage warehouse that is already in use.

Picot said the near-$10 million project was a joint venture between his business and Coman Construction, which has been busy working on the interior building work at the factory.

(The Nelson Mail, Monday 25 June 2018)

Church St upgrade on hold

Plans on the books for nine years must wait a little longer, as the works and infrastructure committee has declined to commit to a Church St upgrade.

Committee-members and councillors sitting-in debated the merits of the project for over an hour at yesterday’s works and infrastructure committee.

The upgrade originally came under the 2009 Heart of Nelson Strategy as a connecting link between the convention centre at Rutherford Hotel and a proposed performing arts centre which ultimately was not built.

The plans were originally costed at $575,000, until further work by council staff more than doubled the expected expenditure to $1.33 million.

Nelson City Council CEO Pat Dougherty said in the meeting that the only reason the proposal was still being recommended was because of the work that had already gone into it.

(The Nelson Mail, Friday 29 June 2018)

Lifeline for grandstand

The Golden Bay grandstand has been thrown a lifeline after a U-turn by Tasman District Council.

At the end of a long discussion on the hot-button issue, councillors yesterday agreed to rescind an earlier decision that confirmed the planned removal of the building.

They intend to sit down with staff and ‘‘key stakeholders’’ at a workshop to discuss options for keeping the more than 100-year-old building in situ, next to the new recreation centre at Takaka. A request was made for chief executive Janine Dowding to prepare a report for that workshop on those options.

The councillors also agreed to invite the Golden Bay Restoration Society or the Golden Bay Grand Stand Community Trust or ‘‘any other entity’’ to apply for a lease under the Reserves Act to allow use of the grandstand.

They also agreed that, subject to a successful lease application, the stairs to the more than 100-year-old grandstand would be reinstated by the lessee provided the works comply with the Building Act, and any health and safety obligations.

Lastly, the councillors agreed that the remaining funds allocated for the planned demolition of the grandstand be made available to the lessee for the restoration building work.

(The Nelson Mail, Friday 29 June 2018)

Tradies slam 'Jurassic Park' centre

Nelson subcontractors are calling Stoke’s Greenmeadows community centre project ‘‘Jurassic Park’’, voicing their concerns over the project’s build quality and lengthy delays.

Auckland construction company Watts & Hughes won the tender in June 2016, undercutting local firms with a $4.6 million bid. The total budget was originally set at $6.15m, however, this has since increased to $7.19m.

The Nelson Mail spoke to several local subcontractors who do not wish to be named. One subcontractor, frustrated by not getting a response from Nelson City Council over their concerns, forwarded a document outlining construction faults.

These include: incorrect installation of exterior ply and window flashing; incomplete waterproofing; pooling water on decks; and eaves left exposed to the elements. They also listed a number of concerns about the project’s overall management, citing a lack of qualified workers, poor methodology and substandard project management on the site.

Another subcontractor said the project, which had an original completion date of November 2017, had become infamous among local tradespeople.

‘‘We call it Jurassic Park, it looks like it goes backwards in time every time you go past it. I can’t understand the time frame, you couldn’t be on a job that long if you tried. It’s a simple construction, it shouldn’t take two years.’’

Thought for the Week

Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.

(Samuel Johnson)