News and Publications

Property News: 26 August 2019

Farewell to famous blue bach

An old-school Kiwi bach on a reserve near Kaiteriteri has finally been pulled down – a victim of council rules.

The little blue bach in Tapu Bay was owned by Motueka stalwart John Krammer until he surrendered it to the Tasman District Council two years ago. It was demolished last week, marking the end for the controversial old holiday home.

Krammer, 86, said he didn’t know it was being pulled down until his daughter brought a photo to his home on Te Awhina Marae on Friday.

The bach, built in 1899, was moved a short distance to a new site in the 1930s. It was on a small headland that was designated part of a wider council esplanade reserve in 1984.

There was a stir in 2015 when a majority of Tasman councillors voted to remove it, after a policy was passed banning private structures on esplanade reserves. Krammer launched a campaign to keep the bach on the land, and was backed by Tasman Mayor Richard Kempthorne and other councillors.

(The Nelson Mail, Monday 19 August 2019)

Bateup work delayed by defects

Defects need correcting before a long-running project to upgrade Bateup Rd in Richmond is complete.

‘‘We have a long list,’’ Tasman District Council programme delivery manager Russell McGuigan told councillors at a meeting of the engineering services committee on Thursday.

Work was also continuing on some private driveway exits, he said.

It is the fourth delay for the $3.6 million project, which was originally due to be completed in March.

Councillor Kit Maling asked when the road cones would be removed, suggesting the end of August. McGuigan replied: ‘‘I prefer to say September.’’

(The Nelson Mail, Monday 19 August 2019)

New link for city and sea

Nelson city’s connection to the sea has taken another step forward, with a new, wider footbridge now in place over Saltwater Creek.

Work to remove the old bridge began on Monday – the same day the new 3m-wide bridge was craned into place. It connects the Maitai River Walkway with the QEII bridge underpass, but will not be ready for the public to use for at least another three weeks.

Nelson City Council infrastructure group manager Alec Louverdis said the budget for the project was $986,000, with $500,000 funded by the council and $486,000 from central government through the Urban Cycleways Fund.

The replacement bridge would cater for cyclists as well as pedestrians and would form an improved link between the city and the waterfront once the new Haven Rd walking and cycling improvements were completed, the council said.

Louverdis said the old bridge would be reused in sections at the Wakapuaka Sandflats Reserve.

The architectural elements of the bridge were designed by Jerram Tocker Barron, with the Glulam timber structure using themes found elsewhere along the Maitai River. The council said a waka theme would reflect the waka prow sculpture at the nearby landing site.

(The Nelson Mail, Wednesday 21 August 2019)

Modellers urged to move

Some people are calling for the Nelson Society of Modellers to give up on the infamous and costly Modellers Pond at Tahunanui.

Champion Green Facility Committee chair Murray Cameron contacted the Nelson City Council, saying it was time for the society to move to the Champion Green Pond at Saxton Field, where he said many model boat enthusiasts were already setting sail.

Future developments at Saxton could include facilities for modellers, he said – unlike the Tahunanui pond, which was a relic of the past.

Tahunanui Business Association (TBA) chair Paul Matheson said losing the modellers would be the loss of a Tahunanui ‘‘icon’’.

John Gilbertson, a member of both the TBA and the pond working party, also said the concreting option was the best currently available. ‘‘It’s the most environmentally friendly solution we can do at this time.’’

(The Nelson Mail, Wednesday 21 August 2019)

Gardens get new toilets

The public and visitors to Queens Gardens in Nelson now have access to new toilets that are open 24 hours.

The facilities, which are accessed from Bridge St, were opened on Monday.

The toilets were designed by architects Jerram Tocker Barron. The firm also worked on the upgrade of the nearby Suter Gallery. It also designed the public toilets in the city’s 1903 Square.

A Nelson City Council spokesman said the expected budget for the toilets was $473,000.

(The Nelson Mail, Wednesday 21 August 2019)

Port Tarakohe proposal tweaked

A reworked multimillion-dollar proposal to redevelop Port Tarakohe looks set to go to Tasman District Council for approval on August 29.

Before that, though, the potential funding for the project is due to be discussed behind closed doors at a workshop.

Council strategic policy manager Sharon Flood on Monday told a hearing panel that the workshop would be ‘‘where we decide what will be part of the PGF [Provincial Growth Fund application], what will council fund or what will be contributed by the marine farming industry’’.

The draft business plan was largely funded by the Government’s Provincial Growth Fund as part of a $6.4 million investment in a top of the south ocean package.

That same fund looks likely to be tapped for a grant of more than $28m for the proposed upgrade of the port, which has been driven by the expected growth of the mussel industry – from about 8000 tonnes to about 40,000 tonnes a year over the next 10 years.

The revised plan also has a changed layout for the proposed commercial section of the port, to enable it to accommodate a rock barge. Changes to the proposed commercial area come after a submission by Sollys Freight owner Merv Solly, who wanted his company to continue to have access for the movement of dolomite and quarry rock.

(The Nelson Mail, Wednesday 21 August 2019)

Thought for the Week

Thought for the week