News and Publications

Property News - 11 August 2021

No quick fix likely for city housing shortage

Nelson is forecast to have a shortfall of housing by 864 dwellings over the next 30 years – but that may change as council plans come into effect.

City council senior city development adviser Gabrielle Thorpe told the urban development subcommittee on Thursday that the Housing and Business Capacity Assessment (HBA) was a ‘‘chunky report’’ determining if the city had sufficient capacity to accommodate projected growth demands in the short-term (1-3 years), medium-term (4-10 years) and long-term (11-30 years).

(Nelson Mail, Monday 2 August 2021)

Boom in $1m house sales

There was a 167.9 per cent increase in the number of properties sold for $1 million or more during the first half of this year compared with the first half of last year, the Real Estate Institute says.

The institute’s Million Dollar Price report showed 14,776 million-dollar plus properties were sold in the first part of 2021, up from 5516 over the same period last year.

Real Estate Institute chief executive Jen Baird said this was a significant change even though the first half of last year was affected by the nationwide Covid lockdown.

(Nelson Mail, Friday 6 August 2021)

Councillors among those affected by shortage of planners in Tasman

Two Tasman District councillors have had their own projects affected by a slowdown in consent processing as a shortage of planners bites.

Council environment and planning manager Dennis Bush-King said the normally 16-strong resource consent team was down five fulltime planners, ‘‘and we’re not able to supplement that with increased consultancy use’’.

‘‘We’ve got an open advertisement out there trying to recruit staff – we’ve had that for six months now,’’ Bush-King told the council’s regulatory committee. Central Government was also recruiting ‘‘and we just can’t compete with that’’.

(Nelson Mail, Saturday 7 August 2021)

German businessman the new owner of Pepin Island

A wealthy German businessman has bought Nelson’s Pepin Island.

Tobias Janke, who lives in Auckland, bought the island under the trust Invictus Investment Trustees Ltd in May, with the title officially transferring in July.

Pepin Island is a 518-hectare property in Nelson’s Cable Bay. It was listed for sale with a $16 million price tag in August 2018. However, in March this was reduced to $13.5m.

Janke is the 49 per cent shareholder of Invictus Investment Trustees. The other 51 per cent is held by a second trust – Invictus Corporate Trustees Ltd – with two lawyers from Davenports Law, Tammy McLeod and Jeremy Parsons, listed as shareholders. Both declined to comment when contacted by The Nelson Mail.

(Nelson Mail, Saturday 7 August 2021)

School saved from axe has three students

Student numbers remain in single digits at the country’s only residential school for girls with intellectual disabilities, despite Government changes to try to make it easier to enrol.

After winning a long battle to stay open, and the announcement of an $8 million Government cash injection to rebuild in 2019, Salisbury School in Richmond has a current roll of just three students.

The roll was tipped to grow from nine in 2018, when the Government announced a new enrolment pathway at the country’s three residential special schools; Halswell (Christchurch), Salisbury and Westbridge (Auckland).

The pathway meant students applying for a place at the Government-funded schools didn’t have to be accepted into the Intensive Wraparound Service (IWS) – a change introduced by the National Government in 2012, which saw the roll at Salisbury drop from 77 in 2009.

(Nelson Mail, Saturday 7 August 2021)