Property News – 19 January 2022

Asbestos testing, cleanup after big Motueka blaze

Testing has started to determine the spread of hazardous asbestos following a suspicious fire at a building in Motueka this week.

Once the testing was complete, work would begin to clean up asbestos at the site of the blaze at the former tobacco warehouse on King Edward St and any affected areas nearby, said Tasman District Council regulatory services manager Adrian Humphries.

The fire ripped through the disused industrial building, with firefighters from around the Nelson region rushing to the site shortly after 4.20am on Monday to bring it under control.

Fire and Emergency NZ fire investigator Sam Bugler said the cause of the fire had not yet been determined, and the investigation was being handed over to police detectives.

(Nelson Mail, Wednesday 12 January 2022)

New governance model proposed for marina

Nelson City Council is recommending a new management model for the Nelson Marina after a review found that the status quo was not focused on commercial opportunities.

The model would see a Council Countrolled Organisation (CCO) run the marina while the council retained ownership of the asset.

A CCO would allow for a company structure accountable to the council. This preferred CCO option was confirmed following a review.

The management of the marina was brought in house on 1 July 2021, following the termination of the Nelmac management contract.

It was determined by the council that “more active management was needed” over the marina.

The review found the current governance model, operated through the council, was not commercially-focused and not enough to fulfil the proposed development plans for Nelson Marina under Nelson’s Long-Term Plan.

Consultation submissions close midnight on Sunday 20 February 2022 and can be made through the NCC’s Shape Nelson website.

(Nelson Weekly, Wednesday 12 2022)

Fire creates ‘massive’ problem for Wakatū’s Motueka project

Clearing a collection of asbestosriddled buildings in Motueka for redevelopment has become more complicated after the blaze that tore through some of them this week, the landowner says.

Wakatū Incorporation property and commercial group general manager Iain Sheves said it had planned to remove the King Edward St buildings in two or three months’ time.

Cooler and damper weather then would have made it easier and safer to clear materials with asbestos in them and remove the buildings, he said, paving the way for the likely development of housing on the site.

However, the suspicious fire that ripped through the buildings on Monday morning meant Wakatū was ‘‘back to the drawing board’’ and had to come up with a new plan, Sheves said.

(Nelson Mail, Friday 14 January 2022)

Scroll to Top